If you’re like most, chances are you love Mexican cuisine. Tacos, quesadillas, and nachos are all par for the course when camping. Chilaquiles are a less popular Mexican dish that your entire family is sure to enjoy when you give them a try. They’re super easy to make and can be made ahead of time in the oven if you don’t want to make them over the campfire.
Chilaquiles are made by quartering and deep frying corn tortillas. In parts of Central Mexico the tortilla chips are supposed to stay crisp. To achieve this you simply avoid pouring the salsa until before serving. Other regions of Mexico have the chilaquiles simmering and turned into almost a polenta type texture. Some areas use a cream sauce, while others enjoy a red sauce. Truly, you can customize this dish to meet your needs.
These camping chilaquiles are a great option for anyone seeking a quick, fun to make recipe that promises to take them south of the border, regardless of where they are on the road.
- 1 16 oz can of enchilada sauce
- 1 tsp Olive oil
- 20 corn tortillas cut into eighths
- 1 cup roasted corn or whatever filling you have on hand
- ½ cup crumbled cotija cheese
- 5-6 eggs
- ½ cup cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped fresh cilantro leaves for garnish
- Lime slices for garnish
- Quick pickled red onions slice onions and let rest in rice wine vinegar for 15 mins
- Hot sauce
- Mexican crema sauce
- Grease Dutch Oven.
- Open enchilada sauce.
- Cover bottom of Dutch Oven with olive oil. Layer corn tortillas in with the sauce, cheese and any toppings desired. (It is best to cover all tortillas so they don’t dry out). Top with cracked eggs if desired.
- Place in a campfire for 30 minutes. Until top is browned and cooked through and egg whites are set with runny yolks.
- Top with cilantro, lime slices, and pickled red onions. Serve with hot sauce and crema if desired. Enjoy!
If you’re interested in learning more about our selection of RVs for sale, contact us. We can answer any questions you have, walk you through RV financing, and ensure you’ve got the information needed to make the best decision for your family.